SEMI International Standards
Standards New Activity Report Form (SNARF)
Revised (if Applicable):
New Standard: Specification for 4H-SiC Homo-Epitaxial Wafer
Originating Global Technical Committee:
Compound Semiconductor Materials
Originating TC Chapter:
Task Force (TF) in which work is to be carried out:
SiC Epitaxial Wafer Task Force
Note: If a new task force is needed, also submit a task force organization form (TFOF)
a. Describe the need or problem addressed by this activity.
(Indicate the customer, what benefits they will receive, and if possible, quantify the impact on the return on investment [ROI] if the Document is implemented.)
1. As a wide bandgap semiconductor, 4H-SiC is an ideal electronic material for high temperature, high frequency and high power electronic devices in the next 50 years.
2. 4H-SiC Power devices can effectively improve the system efficiency, reduce the energy consumption, reduce the volume and the weight of system, and improve the system reliability. It can be widely used in automotive electronics, photovoltaic inverter, UPS, high-speed rail and other fields.
3. As the basic material of 4H-SiC power devices, 4H-SiC epitaxial wafers play an irreplaceable role in the whole 4H-SiC industry chain.
4. Till now, there is no uniform standard for 4H-SiC epitaxial wafers in the world. We are applying to formulate this standard to provide a basis for the production and raw material procurement of upstream and downstream enterprises in the industry chain, and to promote the healthy and orderly development of the industry chain.
b. Estimate effect on industry.
1: Major effect on entire industry or on multiple important industry sectors - identify the relevant sectors
Sector or Company Information:
Automotive electronics, Photovoltaic inverter, UPS, High-speed rail and other fields
c. Estimate technical difficulty of the activity.
II: Some Difficulty - Disagreements on known requirements exist but developing consensus is possible
Describe the technical areas to be covered or addressed by this Document development activity. For Subordinate Standards, list common concepts or criteria that the Subordinate Standard inherits from the Primary Standard, as well as differences from the Primary Standard:
This standard is applicable to 4H-SiC homogeneous epitaxial wafers with n-type 4H-SiC epitaxial layers grown on n-type 4H-SiC substrates. It mainly stipulates the following seven parts：
2. Normative references
3. Terms and definitions
4. Technical requirements (technical parameters and indexes of epitaxial layer)
5. Inspection methods (measurement methods for each technical parameters of epitaxial layer)
6. Inspection regulations
7. Marking, packaging, transportation and storage
b: Expected result of activity
New Standard or Safety Guideline (including replacement of an existing Standard or Safety Guideline)
For a new Subordinate Standard, identify the Primary Standard here:
For Standards, identify the Standard Subtype below:
3. Projected Timetable for Completion:
a: General Milestones
a. Activity Start:
b. 1st Draft by:
c. (Optional) Informational Ballot by:
d. Letter Ballot by:
e. TC Chapter Approval By:
4. Liaisons with other Global Technical Committees/TC Chapters/Subcommittees/TFs:
List SEMI global technical committees, TC Chapters, subcommittees, or task forces in your or other Regions/Locales that should be kept informed regarding the progress of this activity. (Refer to SEMI Standards organization charts and global technical committee charters and scopes as needed.)
Europe SiC Material and Wafer Specification TF
List any planned Type I Liaisons with external nonprofit organizations (e.g., SDO) that should receive Draft Documents from Standards staff for feedback during this activity and be notified when the Letter Ballot is issued (refer to Procedure Manual § 7):
will not be issued
Identify the recipient global technical committee(s):
5. Safety Considerations:
The resulting document is expected:
NOT to be a Safety Guideline
to be a Safety Guideline
": When all safety-related information is removed from the Document, the Document is NOT technically sound and complete - Refer to Section 15.1 of the
for special procedures to be followed.
NOT to be a Safety Guideline
": When all safety-related information is removed from the Document, the Document is still technically sound and complete.
6. Intellectual Property Considerations:
For a new Standard or Safety Guideline and for any part to be modified or added in a Revision of published Standards and Safety Guidelines
the use of patented technology is NOT required.
If "patented technology is intended to be included in the proposed Standard(s) or Safety Guideline(s) " is selected above, then also check one:
For Revision, Reapproval, Reinstatement, or Withdrawal of existing Standard(s) and Safety Guideline(s):
The body of the Document and any Appendices, Complementary Files, Related Information sections, or Various Materials that may or may not be a part of the Document by reference:
the use of patented technology or the incorporation of Copyrighted Item(s) is NOT required’
: If in the course of developing the Document, it is determined that the use of patented technology or Copyrighted Item(s) is necessary for the Document, the provisions of
§ 16 must be followed.
will incorporate Copyrighted Item’
: A copyright release letter must be obtained from the copyright owner prior to publication.
7. Comments, Special Circumstances:
TC Member Review:
took place between (put dates below) before approval by the GCS, or
Member Review Start Date;
Member Review End Date:
‘TC Member Review’ is required by the
for a period of at least two weeks
before approval of a new, or a major revision of an existing, Standard or Safety Guideline. (Refer to
9. SNARF Approval Dates:
TC Chapter or GCS
Recorded in TC Minutes
10. SNARF Extension Dates:
TC Chapter Extension Granted on
Extension Expires on
Attach Pictures and Files here: